Thursday, August 20, 2009

AGAVE

I know it seems that we have already made huge improvements in our heatlh, especially if you have achieved the level of being a raw vegetarian/vegan (I'm using this term now because I occassionally use honey/maple syrup when recipes call for them, however honey comes from bees and maple syrup is not raw) but we should always remain teachable and act as servants.

I have posted this link to share what I'm learning about AGAVE, the beloved sweetner. I just bought my last bottle. I have noticed the more you use it the more you want it. We used to make our smoothies with no sweetener at all, now that is all my husband and children use. I have at least gotten them to cut back. I prefer more banana, sweeter fruit or dates.

http://renegadehealth.com/blog Look down the page for episode #374 AGAVE RE-VISITED

Agave
* does not have a high glycemic index, but that does not make it automatically healthy
* high in fructose, does not cause blood sugar spike, but has no fiber
* fructose is the natural sugar found in fruit, but fruit has fiber which helps our bodies to absorb, digest and properly utilize the fructose
* Negative affects of Agave - causes insulin resistance, metabolic syndrome, uric acid build up in your liver (fatty liver)

Better sweeteners to use:
Apples, bananas, peaches, berries, grapes with seeds, pineapples, dates, raisins, stevia (green leaf powder)

No-Bonez Notes of the Day!!

Slow gradual changes will help you to appreciate the journey even more, when we know better, we can then do better!

Knowledge is power and when you have been given the knowledge, it is up to you to use it.

Listen to your bodies love language, what are you addicted to?

Chelly

No comments: