Friday, July 31, 2009
Sunday, July 26, 2009
Yesterday I cried watching the Michael Jackson memorial. I cried for a little
black boy who felt the world didn't understand him. I cried for a little black
boy who spent his adulthood chasing his childhood. And I thought about all the
young black boys out there who may too feel that the world doesn't understand
them. The ones who feel that the world does not understand their baggy jeans,
their swagger, their music, their anger, their struggles, their fears or the
chip on their shoulder. I worry that my son, may too, one day will feel lonely
in a wide, wide world.
I cried for the young children of all colors who may live their life feeling
like a misfit, feeling like no one understands their perspective, or their soul.
What a burden to carry.
As a mother, I cried for Katherine Jackson because no mother should ever bury a
child. Period. And I think about all the pain, tears and sleepless nights that
she must have endured seeing her baby boy in inner pain, seeing him struggle
with his self-esteem, and his insecurities and to know he often felt unloved
even while the world loved him deeply. How does it feel to think that the
unconditional love we give as mothers just isn't enough to make our children
feel whole? I wonder if she still suffers thinking, "what more could I have
done?" Even moms of music legends aren't immune to mommy guilt, I suppose.
When Rev. Al Sharpton ("who always delivers one" awesome "funeral speech") said
to Michael's children, "Your daddy was not strange....It was strange what your
Daddy had to deal with," I thought of all the "strange" things of the world that
my children will have to deal with. Better yet, the things I hope they won't
ever have to deal with anymore.
And as a mother raising a young black boy, I feel recommitted and yet a little
confused as to how to make sure my son is sure enough within himself to take on
the world. Especially a "strange" one. To love himself enough to know that even
when the world doesn't understand you, tries to force you into its mold or
treats you unkindly, you are still beautiful, strong and Black. How do I do
Today, I am taking back "childhood" as an inalienable right for every brown
little one. In a world, that makes children into booty-shaking, mini-adults long
before their time, I'm reclaiming the playful, innocent, run-around-outside,
childhood as the key ingredient in raising confident adults. Second, I will not
rest until my little black boy, MY Michael, knows that his broad nose is
beautiful, his chocolately brown skin is beautiful, and his thick hair is
And nothing or no one can ever take that away from him.
"Now aint we bad? And ain't we black? And ain't we fine? ---Maya Angelou
Saturday, July 25, 2009
I have a testimony......some good news........a miracle to share..........an I told you so moment!!!!!
All of those and a bag of raw chips!!!!!
In the search box of my blog, type in "oil pulling". Read that post about my dental appointment and what I was told. Sept. 2, 2008 Post
For starters I did the oil pulling for about 3 months. I did not notice any results, many people have, so I'm not knocking it.
In April, 2009 I purchased a Water Pik, it works just like the tool your dental hygienist uses to squirt water onto your teeth when being cleaned. For 3 months I have flossed ( first off, I've flossed my teeth for 17 years daily), brushed my teeth ( using toothpaste with no fluoride, Nature's Gate/Toms) and I have used the Water Pik (which still removes food even after flossing).
Three Months............**Floss**......**Brush**......**Water Pik** Before Bed, missed 3 nights
VERY IMPORTANT NOTE * I already posted a blog on flossing, but it is best to FLOSS AT NIGHT, a dark mouth is the perfect environment for bacterial growth. Of Course follow with brushing and YES, I brush in the morning, also!!
If you were not able to read my post from Sept. 2, 2008 here is an update: My dentist wanted me to have underneath my gums scrapped and the antibiotic arestin applied to prevent bacterial growth and the advancement of what had already started, periodontal disease (gum disease).
I refused, he yelled at me, "You have gum disease, if you don't do anything about it, it will only get worse. Diet has nothing to do with it!!!!", said Dr. Zaner. Jan. 2008
July 24, 2009: Dr. Zaner said, "Your gums look wonderful, beautiful color, what ever you did keep doing it, it's not there now. They look great!"
As the hygienist cleaned my teeth she said, you have no bleeding at all, that is the first sign of disease, you have no swelling, your diet and preventative care is working, you have prevented the bacteria from growing! All signs of gum disease reversed!!!
So let's review the obvious, shall we????
I eat 100% raw organic vegan food, I floss nightly, brush twice a day and use the water pik nightly. I had gum disease and in Jan. 2009 was told to have the scrapping done and antibiotics applied to kill the bacteria and prevent more growth.
I refused.........because God knows best........and here I am today..........cured.......healed.......better........no bleeding gums........no swollen gums.........just a healthy mouth!!!
Now, just who do I have to thank for all of these blessings??????????????? Only God!!!
No antibiotic, no surgery, no chemicals, no drugs, no cooked food, nothing can do for me what God can.
Coincidentally: He gave us fruits and vegetables, nuts and seeds!!!!!!
Good Bye Gum Disease!!!!!
I hope you enjoyed the class as much as I did and I hope to see you all again!
Tuesday, July 21, 2009
Thank you to all those who came out to experience "A Day in the Life of a Raw Vegan".
The food was awesome and not just because I made it!! It was 100% organic, all raw and vegan. Dining on delicious food without guilt, symptoms and side effects is priceless!!!
Don't miss the next class August 10, 2009 6-8 p.m. Cost: $25
Monday, July 20, 2009
Thursday, July 16, 2009
The Top 7 Reasons Why Smoothies Can Help You Lose Weight, Boost Your Energy Levels and Create Vibrant Health
By Kevin Gianni - Health Advocate and Author
1. Smoothies deliver a power-packed, slam dunk of nutrients
Smoothies, pound for pound, are some of the most nutrient dense meals. A green smoothie with some fruit and berries can deliver more antioxidants and phytonutrients than most meals eaten by the majority of people around the world. It's also easier to digest, since a good blender will break up the plant fibers for better absorption.
By preparing a smoothie every morning, you can start off your day with the protection of antioxidants, an incredible array of vitamins and nutrients, as well as get the energy and calories you need to go on with you day without getting hunger pangs an hour after your first meal.
2. Anyone can use a blender and make something that tastes awesome.
Yes, this is true. Even the most culinary-challenged individuals can dump smoothie ingredients into a blender and turn it on to make a great tasting smoothie. This applies to kids as well!
Kids and adults alike love the process of blending together their favorite ingredients for an awesome tasting concoction.
QUICK TIP: Adding bok choy or spinach into a fruit smoothie is a great way to sneak some greens into a child's diet!
3. You don't have to be a brain surgeon to create your own recipes.
This isn't like baking where everything needs to be just right.
Like I've already said, anyone can use a blender, but this tip means that you don't have to be overly creative in order to build your own smoothie.
For anyone just starting, usually I'll tell them get some of your favorite fruits and vegetables and start playing around. You'll be amazed at what you come up with.
4. They take literally minutes to prepare (sometimes less!)
The fastest smoothie I've ever made was about 45 seconds (Yes, I timed it!). This can do wonders for your time management!
Studies have shown that most people stress about money and not having enough time in the day. Smoothies can literally buy you 30 minutes or so in the morning--or whenever you choose to make one--so you can get to the things that really matter.
5. They taste amazing.
I may sound like a broken record here, but when done right a great smoothie can transport you to a tropical island or give you the mental clarity of Einstein-ian proportions.
6. They can help detoxify your system.
There are many non-organic and industrial pollutants in our environment that can be the cause of various aliments. So it's extremely important to detox your system to avoid build up of toxic materials.
Adding fruits and herbal tinctures or powders to your smoothies can help the body detox. This is a great way to take many tinctures or powders without having to taste them (some taste notoriously awful, if you ever get a chance try the herb andrographis and you'll know what I mean!).
Many fruits alone are detoxifying, so just making a fruit smoothie can have detoxifying effects on your body.
7. They are fun!
It's hard to think of a meal that is actually fun to make, fun to eat and fun to share. Smoothies happen to be one of those meals!
Every day you can pick new ingredients and try new mixes to create endless recipes and tastes. They're a perfect addition a meal plan that is stagnant and boring and that is not getting you any noticeable results.
With all these reasons and literally dozens more, it's easy to understand why smoothies will work for you.
Sunday, July 12, 2009
Thursday, July 9, 2009
Time: 6-8 p.m.
Date: July 20, 2009 Great Class!
Title: A Day in the Life of a Raw Vegan
Preregistration required for the class
Email me: email@example.com
Culinary Center of Annapolis, MD at Whole Foods Market
Time: 7-8:30 p.m.
Date: July 23, 2009 Fabulous Class
Title: Living in the Raw! Raw/Vegan Lifestyle & Divine Dinners Tasting
Preregistration required at http://www.acteva.com/go/annapolis
Common Market Frederick, MD
September 17, 2009, Thursday
Time: 6-8 p.m.
September 20, 2009, Sunday
Time: 1-3 p.m.
Boonsboro Wellness Center
September 19, 2009
Time: 1-3 p.m.
Cost: $30.00 (I think)
Call the Wellness Center to register
AFTER YEARS OF TELLING PEOPLE CHEMOTHERAPY IS THE ONLY WAY TO TRY ('TRY', BEING THE KEY WORD) TO ELIMINATE CANCER, THERE IS AN ALTERNATIVE WAY.
1. Every person has cancer cells in the body. These cancer cells do not show up in the standard tests until they have multiplied to a few billion. When doctors tell cancer patients that there are no more cancer cells in their bodies after treatment, it just means the tests are unable to detect the cancer cells because they have not reached the detectable size.
2. Cancer cells occur between 6 to more than 10 times in a person's lifetime.
3 When the person's immune system is strong the cancer cells will be destroyed and prevented from multiplying and forming tumors.
4. When a person has cancer it indicates the person has multiple nutritional deficiencies. These could be due to genetic, environmental, food and lifestyle factors..
5. To overcome the multiple nutritional deficiencies, changing diet and including supplements will strengthen the immune system.
6. Chemotherapy involves poisoning the rapidly-growing cancer cells and also destroys rapidly-growing healthy cells in the bone marrow, gastrointestinal tract etc, and can cause organ damage, like liver, kidneys, heart, lungs etc.
7. Radiation while destroying cancer cells also burns, scars and damages healthy cells, tissues and organs..
8. Initial treatment with chemotherapy and radiation will often reduce tumor size. However prolonged use of chemotherapy and radiation do not result in more tumor destruction.
9. When the body has too much toxic burden from chemotherapy and radiation the immune system is either compromised or destroyed, hence the person can succumb to various kinds of infections and complications.
10. Chemotherapy and radiation can cause cancer cells to mutate and become resistant and difficult to destroy. Surgery can also cause cancer cells to spread to other sites.
11. An effective way to battle cancer is to starve the cancer cells by not feeding it with the foods it needs to multiply.
CANCER CELLS FEED ON:
a. Sugar is a cancer-feeder. By cutting off sugar it cuts off one important food supply to the cancer cells. Sugar substitutes like NutraSweet, Equal, Spoonful, etc are made with Aspartame and it is harmful. A better natural substitute would be Manuka honey or molasses but only in very small amounts. Table salt has a chemical added to make it white in color. Better alternative is Bragg's aminos or sea salt.
b. Milk causes the body to produce mucus, especially in the gastro-intestinal tract. Cancer feeds on mucus. By cutting off milk and substituting with unsweetened soy milk cancer cells are being starved.
c. Cancer cells thrive in an acid environment. A meat-based diet is acidic and it is best to eat fish, and a little chicken rather than beef or pork. Meat also contains livestock antibiotics, growth hormones and parasites, which are all harmful, especially to people with cancer.
d. A diet made of 80% fresh vegetables and juice, whole grains, seeds, nuts and a little fruits help put the body into an alkaline environment. About 20% can be from cooked food including beans. Fresh vegetable juices provide live enzymes that are easily absorbed and reach down to cellular levels within 15 minutes to nourish and enhance growth of healthy cells. To obtain live enzymes for building healthy cells try and drink fresh vegetable juice (most vegetables including bean sprouts) and eat some raw vegetables 2 or 3 times a day. Enzymes are destroyed at temperatures of 104 degrees F (40 degrees C).
e. Avoid coffee, tea, and chocolate, which have high caffeine. Green tea is a better alternative and has cancer fighting properties. Water-best to drink purified water, or filtered, to avoid known toxins and heavy metals in tap water. Distilled water is acidic, avoid it.
12. Meat protein is difficult to digest and requires a lot of digestive enzymes. Undigested meat remaining in the intestines becomes putrefied and leads to more toxic buildup.
13. Cancer cell walls have a tough protein covering. By refraining from or eating less meat it frees more enzymes to attack the protein walls of cancer cells and allows the body's killer cells to destroy the cancer cells.
14. Some supplements build up the immune system (IP6, Flor-ssence, Essiac, anti-oxidants, vitamins, minerals, EFAs etc.) to enable the bodies own killer cells to destroy cancer cells. Other supplements like vitamin E are known to cause apoptosis, or programmed cell death, the body's normal method of disposing of damaged, unwanted, or unneeded cells.
15. Cancer is a disease of the mind, body, and spirit. A proactive and positive spirit will help the cancer warrior be a survivor. Anger, un-forgiveness and bitterness put the body into a stressful and acidic environment. Learn to have a loving and forgiving spirit. Learn to relax and enjoy life.
16. Cancer cells cannot thrive in an oxygenated environment. Exercising daily, and deep breathing help to get more oxygen down to the cellular level. Oxygen therapy is another means employed to destroy cancer cells.
1. No plastic containers in micro.
2. No water bottles in freezer.
3. No plastic wrap in microwave.
Dioxin chemicals cause cancer, especially breast cancer. Dioxins are highly poisonous to the cells of our bodies. Don't freeze your plastic bottles with water in them as this releases dioxins from the plastic. Recently, Dr. Edward Fujimoto, Wellness Program Manager at Cast le Hospital, was on a TV program to explain this health hazard. He talked about dioxins and how bad they are for us. He said that we should not be heating our food in the microwave using plastic containers. This especially applies to foods that contain fat. He said that the combination of fat, high heat, and plastics releases dioxin into the food and ultimately into the cells of the body. Instead, he recommends using glass, such as Corning Ware, Pyrex or ceramic containers for heating food You get the same results, only without the dioxin. So such things as TV dinners, instant ramen and soups, etc., should be removed from the container and heated in something else. Paper isn't bad but you don't know what is in the paper. It's just safer to use tempered glass, Corning Ware, etc. He reminded us that a while ago some of the fast food restaurants moved away from the foam containers to paper. The dioxin problem is one of the reasons.
Also, he pointed out that plastic wrap, such as Saran, is just as dangerous when placed over foods to be cooked in the microwave. As the food is nuked, the high heat causes poisonous toxins to actually melt out of the plastic wrap and drip into the food. Cover food with a paper towel instead.
This is an article that should be sent to anyone important in your life.